Monday, October 18, 2004

The Daily Show’s Jon Stewart appeared on Crossfire last Wednesday. The hosts expected him to make jokes to promote his new book "America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction." Instead, Stewart told them that their show was “hurting America,” because it was “helping the politicians and the corporations.” Stewart called Crossfire’s hosts “partisan, what do you call it, hacks.”

Paul Begala seemed to understand what was going on, but Tucker Carlson saw this as an opportunity to attack Stewart. Oops.

“STEWART: You know, the interesting thing I have is, you have a responsibility to the public discourse, and you fail miserably.

CARLSON: You need to get a job at a journalism school, I think.

STEWART: You need to go to one.

The thing that I want to say is, when you have people on for just knee-jerk, reactionary talk...

CARLSON: Wait. I thought you were going to be funny. Come on. Be funny.

STEWART: No. No. I'm not going to be your monkey.”

The show ended with this exchange:

“CARLSON: I do think you're more fun on your show. Just my opinion. . . .

STEWART: You know what's interesting, though? You're as big a dick on your show as you are on any show.”

Follow these links to read the show’s transcript, or better yet watch this video of the show.